1/3 Photos of Your Next Chocolate Indulgence
1 hr 5 mins
Whenever you have a chocolate craving, stow away that box of Godiva truffles and make this, because it will not only satisfy your cravings for something deep, dark, and dreamy, but also curb your hunger. The recipe may be longer than a cake mix recipe, but it is absolutely worth your time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened (and not the extra dark kind)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (not coarse grained)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup black coffee
- 5 ounces milk chocolate or 5 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2Combine all of the first six ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, white sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda) in a mixing bowl.
- 3Add the next six ingredients (dark brown sugar, lime juice, milk, egg, oil, extract) into that mixture and mix with an electric/stand mixer until mixture is smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- 4Add the coffee and mix for 2 more minutes at medium speed.
- 5Divide the batter between two greased/floured cake pans (9 inch diameter), and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- 6Remove cakes from the oven when they are done and let them cool (don't forget to turn off the oven). Meanwhile, break chocolate into chunks into a large bowl and heat whipping cream until just under a boil. Pour into the large bowl of chocolate chunks and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- 7Carefully remove the cake from one pan and set it onto wax or parchment paper. Spread 1/3 to 1/2 of the chocolate mixture onto it. Remove the second cake from the second pan and set it, bottom down, on top of the first layer. Spread the remaining chocolate mixture over the cake, and allow some of it to run over onto the sides.
- 8Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or overnight, and enjoy your next chocolate indulgence!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Your Next Chocolate Indulgence
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.1
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 55.1 mg
- Sodium 325.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 35.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g