Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great comfort dessert on a cold day. Wild blueberries are expensive if you have to buy them, but have more flavour than the larger blueberry. This dessert will fill your house with a wonderful aroma while it is cooking. A nice change from apple crisp. Found this in a House and Home magazine.
- 1 pint wild blueberries
- 1 pint blackberry
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, and zest
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss blueberries with blackberries, lemon juice and zest, 1/4 cup flour and sugar.
- Transfer to a lightly buttered 9" pie dish Place 3/4 cup of flour, oats, brown sugar spices and salt into a blender and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until topping forms moist clumps Sprinkle topping over berry mixture and bake for approximately one hour until berries bubble and the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm.
This is a perfect recipe for a fruity crisp. I used all blackberries because I had been picking, but any combination of berries would be a delight in this not-too-sweet dessert.
Wow! This is amazing! I thought the lemon juice amount was too much until I tasted the final result and it is perfect. The sugar crust really needed the lemon to keep it from being too sweet. Great - I'll make this whenever I get fresh berries.
The cloves were a wonderful addition to the crust. I used all blueberries (wild frozen) and it came out great. I also added lemon zest to the berries as I used fresh lemon juice. Very great kid pleaser.