Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I would hate to lose. It was given to me by a friend which I tweaked to make a low-calorie. This recipe makes the best banana nut muffins EVER. These tasty hearty muffins will fill you up as they are very dense but packed full of flavor. Has a nice crunchy top and great when heated in microwave. Tip: throughout the year I freeze my bananas when they turn brown. This way I always have ripe bananas ready to go when I want to make these. Muffins will freeze well too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups bananas, ripe mashed
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- Preheat Oven to 325°F.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray with flour, or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in eggs one at a time, beating with each addition.
- Stir in bananas and sour cream.
- In a second bowl, combine flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and walnuts; stir into banana mixture just until combined.
- Pour 2/3 full into muffin pans. I use a ice cream scoop full, this way all the muffins are the same size.
- Bake about 30 minutes check muffins with toothpick, when it comes out clean remove from oven - cool on wire rack.
I made these with pecans instead of walnuts and fresh nutmeg instead of cinnamon. I also did not use splenda & ran out of whole wheat flour so used a little white flour to get to 2 cups. The texture is beautiful, and they are soooo tasty! However, I made them as mini muffins, and despite fiddling around with oven temp & time, I couldn't get them to look pretty. So, I wouldn't recommend this recipe for mini muffins.
What great muffins! Just the right amount of sweet and cinnamon ( I cut the recipe in half, and used 1 cup of Splenda and only 1/2 cup sugar). I had a brain-f* * t and forgot to put baking powder in, but they still rose nice and high. I added extra walnut pieces on top before baking. Thanks for posting this keeper! Made for ZWT III