This is a recipe from Bon Appetit, October 1998, one that is so delicious that it needs no tweaking...the combination of these simple ingredients creates perfect kitchen alchemy. Decadent in the extreme, save it for those special occasions when you really want to WOW. One of the many reviews on that site used two capfuls of pure vanilla extract instead of the vanilla bean, but since I used a vanilla bean I can not vouch for this substitution.
- Place whipping cream in heavy medium saucepan.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean: add pod.
- Bring cream to a simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium metal bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and finger leave path when drawn across the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes (DO NOT BOIL).
- Cover and refrigerate custard sauce until cold, about 3 hours.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.