1/1 Photo of Vanilla Custard Sauce
Sweet Baboo's Note:
This is a recipe from Bon Appetit, October 1998, one that is so delicious that it needs no tweaking...the combination of these simple ingredients creates perfect kitchen alchemy. Decadent in the extreme, save it for those special occasions when you really want to WOW. One of the many reviews on that site used two capfuls of pure vanilla extract instead of the vanilla bean, but since I used a vanilla bean I can not vouch for this substitution.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place whipping cream in heavy medium saucepan.
- 2Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean: add pod.
- 3Bring cream to a simmer.
- 4Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium metal bowl to blend.
- 5Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture.
- 6Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and finger leave path when drawn across the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes (DO NOT BOIL).
- 8Cover and refrigerate custard sauce until cold, about 3 hours.
- 9Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Custard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.2
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 173.7 mg
- Sodium 26.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: