Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A wonderful recipe to enjoy. Modern German food. Adapted from A Taste of Germany.
Make and share this Vanilla Bean Custard With Sour Cherry Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups low-fat milk or 2 cups skim milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, scraped seeds from
- 1 teaspoon cherry brandy (Kirschwasser would be used in Germany)
- chocolate sprinkles
- mint leaf (to garnish) (optional)
- fresh cherries (to garnish) (optional)
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
Sour Cherry Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cherries (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325°F Heat milk to a low simmer in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture. Stir in vanilla and Kirschwasser.
- Pour custard mixture into 6 ramekins. Place ramekins in a large baking pan, and fill baking pan with water almost to ramekins' rims. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, until custards are set but still quivery when shaken. Let cool, then shake on chocolate sprinkles. Garnish also with mint leaves and fresh cherries if desired.
- For a pretty presentation, ladle Sour Cherry Sauce onto 6 dessert plates, dividing evenly. Place a ramekin in center of each. Place whipped cream in a zippered plastic bag, and snip a corner to make a piping bag. Pipe dots around each plate, and drag a toothpick through dots, making them into hearts.
- For Sour Cherry Sauce: Place sour cherries, sugar and cinnamon in a blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher before dividing among plates.
I wanted to try this recipe partly to use up some sour cherries that were left over from jam making and partly to see if I could have successful results using the reduced cholesterol egg product that I have to use for health reasons. Well, the custard came out perfect and the sauce was yummy! I don't have ramekins so I baked it in a 9" x 9" cake pan and cut it into squares. For serving, I topped each piece with cherry sauce and a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. We really loved this recipe and I will definitely make it again.
This is wonderful! I did not do the pretty presentation. I put the sprinkle on, then a little cream and cherry sauce on top. Thanks for a great dessert!