This is a very simple dessert to put together, I make this often, the strawberry gelatin bakes into the cake when baking, it's a wonderful recipe to make all year long, even in the winter, as it is made with frozen thawed strawberries. I think you will really enjoy this!
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (16 ounce) packagethawed frozen sliced strawberries, with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the 4 cups of mini marshmallows on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the frozen strawberries and jello gelatin powder; set aside.
- To make the cake: in a bowl, cream together the Crisco shortening, butter and sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs and almond extract; beat for about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the half and half cream; mix well until combined.
- Pour over the marshmallows in the pan.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture over the batter (don't worry about any bare spots!).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cut in squares and serve with whipping cream of Cool Whip topping.