1/3 Photos of Upside Down Strawberry Shortcake
1 hr 10 mins
This is a very simple dessert to put together, I make this often, the strawberry gelatin bakes into the cake when baking, it's a wonderful recipe to make all year long, even in the winter, as it is made with frozen thawed strawberries. I think you will really enjoy this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (16 ounce) package thawed frozen sliced strawberries, with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- 3Sprinkle the 4 cups of mini marshmallows on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- 4In a bowl, combine the frozen strawberries and jello gelatin powder; set aside.
- 5To make the cake: in a bowl, cream together the Crisco shortening, butter and sugar for about 2 minutes.
- 6Add in eggs and almond extract; beat for about 3-4 minutes.
- 7In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the half and half cream; mix well until combined.
- 9Pour over the marshmallows in the pan.
- 10Spoon the strawberry mixture over the batter (don't worry about any bare spots!).
- 11Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- 12Cut in squares and serve with whipping cream of Cool Whip topping.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside Down Strawberry Shortcake
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 961.9
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 141.0 mg
- Sodium 643.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 160.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 112.1 g
- Protein 12.4 g