This is a dessert to knock their socks off when you really have no time to fuss. All you need are some pretty basic pantry items and about 20 minutes.
- Peel the two oranges, removing all white pith.
- Slice them into rounds.
- Place the orange juice and the white sugar in a saucepan, bring to a boil and cook till syrupy.
- Stir in the orange slices and get them well coated.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it either in the micro wave or over simmering water on the stove--but reserve a bit of chocolate for garnishing the desserts.
- Slice the pound cake into 1/2" thick rectangles. You should have 16.
- Brush eight of the rectangles generously with the grand marnier.
- Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the eight slices of cake.
- Distribute half the orange slices over the cake.
- Top with another slice of cake and cover that with whipped cream.
- Meanwhile, whizz the brown sugar and the cinnamon in a coffee grinder or mini processor (or a mortar and pestle).
- Place each mini trifle on a serving plate.
- Garnish the plate with the remaining orange slices and some chocolate curls and sprinkle the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture decoratively over the plates.
- If you have time and want to be fancier, put the whipped cream in a pastry bag and pipe it on--but just slathered whipped cream looks lovely.