1/1 Photo of Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
2 hrs 30 mins
This is the first ice cream I made with my Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment for my mixer. The recipe came with the attachment. It is absolutely delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 2 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, cut into chunks (I use 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, cut into chunks
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 8 egg yolks (I use 5)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1 5/8 ounce) milk chocolate candy bars, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1In small saucepan, place 1/2 cup whipping cream, semisweet and unsweetened chocolate chunks. Heat over medium low heat until chocolate melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside. (I have done this in the microwave on 70% power stirring after a minute and then every 20-30 seconds thereafter.).
- 2In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat half and half until very hot but not boiling, stirring often. Remove from heat; set aside. (I've also done this in the microwave for about a minute.).
- 3In small bowl, combine sugar and cocoa powder; set aside. Place egg yolks in mixer bowl and beat; gradually add sugar mixture and mix about 30 seconds or until well blended and slightly thickened. Very gradually add chocolate mixture and half and half; mix until well blended.
- 4Return half and half mixture to medium saucepan; stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until small bubbles form around edge and mixture is steamy. Do not boil. Transfer half and half mixture into large bowl; stir in remaining 1-1/2 cups whipping cream, vanilla, and salt. Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 8 hours (I chill mine in the freezer for 2 hours, stirring after 1st hour and then every 15 minutes until 2 hours.).
- 5Put the mixture into your ice cream maker and let it go to work. :) During the last 1-2 minutes of freeze time, add in the milk chocolate. Immediately transfer ice cream into serving dishes or freeze in airtight container. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.6
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 137.4 mg
- Sodium 55.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 4.6 g