1/2 Photos of Toasted Coconut Marshmallow Squares
3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
We often see the marshmallow as a hot chocolate topper, but you will soon discover that these delicious coconut treats deserve to be served solo. These pillow-y squares are surrounded by tasty toasted coconut. These can be made 1 month ahead and stored between sheets of parchment paper in an air tight container, in a cool dry place. To avoid stickiness, try to make on a dry day. Special Equipment Needed: a 9" square metal baking pan, a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and a candy thermometer. From Gourmet Magazine, December 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the center of oven.
- 2Toast coconut in a shallow baking pan in oven, stirring occasionally, until golden, 7-10 minutes.
- 3Oil a 9" square metal baking pan, then sprinkle bottom with 1/2 cup toasted coconut.
- 4Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water in bowl of mixer (fitted with whisk attachment) and let soften while you are making the syrup.
- 5Heat sugar, corn syrup, and salt and remaining 1/2 cup water in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring continuously until sugar dissolves.
- 6Bring to a boil, over medium heat, WITHOUT STIRRING, washing any sugar crystals down side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water.
- 7Put thermometer into syrup and continue boiling, WITHOUT STIRRING, until thermometer registers 240 degrees F (soft ball stage).
- 8Remove from heat and allow to stand until bubbles dissipate.
- 9With mixer at low speed, pour hot syrup into gelatin in a thin stream down side of bowl.
- 10Increase speed to high and beat until very thick, about 15 minutes.
- 11Add vanilla and coconut extracts and beat 1 minute more.
- 12Spoon marshmallow over toasted coconut in baking pan and press evenly with dampened fingertips to smooth top (it will be sticky), then evenly sprinkle top with 1/2 cup toasted coconut.
- 13Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature until firm, about 2 hours.
- 14Run a sharp knife around edge of marshmallow and invert onto a cutting board.
- 15Cut into 3/4" wide strips, then cut each strip into 3/4" squares.
- 16Put remaining toasted coconut in a small bowl and dredge marshmallow in it to coat completely.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toasted Coconut Marshmallow Squares
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.7
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 0.6 g