OMG these are so good!! My family absolutely loves them... how could anyone not like this with tender apples wrapped in a yummy dough and a sweet cinnamon-brown sugar sauce... top it off, warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or REAL whipped cream.... ooo yum...
- Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg, add to flour mixture.
- Add vinegar and water to flour mixture.
- Mix until dough forms.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter for sauce.
- Add brown sugar, water, and cinnamon and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Roll out dough into 4 pieces.
- Place 3-4 apple slices on each piece of dough, wrap dough around apples; covering completely.
- Place apple dumplings, seam side down in 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
- Pour sauce over dumplings.
- Bake in preheated 375 oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with icecream or whipped cream.
Made these last night and they turned out great. I have made several different recipes for apple dumplings and most of them were very good, but as my dh says I am a recipe junkie so I'm always trying something new. Well, this recipe will probably be the last apple dumpling one I use. They were wonderful and dh even said to stick with this one. I just peeled and cored the apples and left whole and that worked out well. Yes there was a lot of dough so I might cut back on it some next time. Thanks for a wonderful dessert!
I was looking for something to make, besides pie, with all the apples we have this year, and found this recipe. It was really great but I added a lot more apples since I had a bunch of them already peeled. I just put all the extra apples in the sauce and baked them all together. YUM!
I just finished eating this now. MMMM yumm! Fairly simple and tastes so good! I added a little sauce with the apples, and also sprinkled some white sugar on top of the dumplings before chucking them in the oven. Other than that this recipe is perfect. A keeper!