1/1 Photo of Tamina - Algerian Toasted Semolina & Honey Sweet
Um Safia's Note:
Tamina is a very old Algerian recipe. Traditionally it is served to celebrate the birth of a baby, however many people eat it whenever they get the craving for something seriously sweet! It is most commonly served in small plates & people each have a small spoon with which to eat it, you can of course, serve individual portions. Algerian children go crazy for this so don't forget a plate for them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Tamina
- 1 cup of ground semolina (medium or coarse)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 2 tablespoons of natural set honey
For The Decorations
- 1In a saucepan heat the semolina over a medium-high heat. Keep shaking the pan until the semolina is evenly toasted & a rich golden brown colour. Pour into a bowl & set aside.
- 2Melt the butter / margarine in the empty pan you used to toast the semolina. Remove from the heat & stir in the honey.
- 3Pour the semolina back into the pan & mix well to combine it with the butter & honey. If you notice the semolina mixture is too runny or has a little extra butter on top, just add a little extra semolina to the pan. If the semolina mixture is a little too stiff to pour, add 1 teaspoon extra of both the butter & the honey & mix well.
- 4Pour the semolina mixture out onto a small dinner plate or side plate & decorate with the cinnamon, silver balls & any additional items you like ( I used satin bows & a paper tea roses in the pic ) To make a pretty pattern with the cinnamon, use the rim of a small tea glass or shaped cookie cookers dipped in the ground cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamina - Algerian Toasted Semolina & Honey Sweet
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 2.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 5.4 g