Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
When I moved to Winnipeg over 20 years ago, I adopted a lady from my church as my "Winnipeg Mom". This is her recipe. She was an excellent cook and enjoying baking. This fruit square is really good warm with whipped cream or ice cream, but can also be served cold. Other fruit in season can be used in place of rhubarb and in winter you can used fruit like dried apricots.
- Mix 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and rub in the butter to make a meal appearance.
- Beat together 1 cup milk, eggs and almond flavoring.
- Mix these two mixtures together.
- May be lumpy.
- Spread into a 10 x 15 inch pan and cover with fruit.
- Mix together the remaining flour, sugar and melted butter.
- Sprinkle crumbs on top of the fruit.
- Bake at 350 deg. for 40 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Cut into 20 squares.
Very good. Not too tart; not too sweet. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting!
A couple of things about this recipe. People in my family who do not like Rhubarb LOVE this recipe. My Mennonite friends say this is the best platz they have ever had. I also sprinkle sliced almonds on top before baking which ties in with the almond flavoring. Every person who has tried this platz wants the recipe. Thanks for sharing!