Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from recipegoldmine.com/ccS/s27.html I have been looking for this recipe for years and finally found it, so thought I'd post it for others to enjoy.
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with buttered wax paper; set aside.
- Combine corn syrup, water and sugar in small heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
- Wash down side of pan with pastry brush dipped in hot water frequently, to remove sugar crystals.
- Add candy thermometer.
- Continue to cook until mixture reaches the hard-ball stage (255 degrees F).
- Meanwhile, beat egg white and cream of tarter with heavy duty electric mixer, until stiff but not dry.
- Slowly pour hot syrup into egg white, beating constantly.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Beat until candy forms soft peaks and starts to lose its gloss.
- Spoon fondant into the prepared pan.
- Cut into three strips lengthwise, then crosswise in center.
- Freeze until firm.
- Roll into logs.
- Place back in freezer.
- Line another baking sheet with wax paper, set aside.
- Melt caramels with water in small but heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Stir occasionally.
- Arrange pecans on wax paper.
- Working quickly, drop 1 piece of the frozen fondant into melted caramels to coat.
- While still warm, roll in pecans to completely coat the outside.
- Place on prepared baking sheet to set.
- Repeat with remaining fondant pieces.
- Reheat the caramel mixture if it becomes too thick.
- Cut finished logs into 1/2 inch slices.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container between layers of wax paper or freeze for up to three months.