Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I came up with this variation from three different recipes . . . it's a delicious cross between a pie and crisp . . . it doesn't turn out runny, so if you like runny cobblers, this is probably not your cup of tea =) enjoy!!!
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped small
- 4 cups strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 5 eggs, at room-temperature beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup margarine
- Cut strawberries and chop rhubarb; set aside.
- Mix together eggs and vanilla; whisk til combined. Sift together remaining ingredients and add to eggs mixture. Pour over fruit and stir. Place fruit mixture into a greased 9"x13" glass (very important!) baking dish.
- In separate bowl, mix topping ingredients. Add shortening or margarine and cut through flour mixture. This will be chunky and sticky. Crumble evenly over top fruit filling.
- Bake at 375 for around 50-55 minutes or until top is golden brown. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy with ice cream or whipped topping =).
This was terrific. I love that it wasn't runny. It even makes kind of a crust on the bottom, which holds the pieces together even more. For my taste, there was a little too much topping relative to the rest of it, so next time I will scale that back just a tad. But a great recipe!
Great recipe! I'll definitely be making this one again!! I didn't change a thing-was perfect as is!
This was very good. It was not runny like other crisps I have made. It was a great change of pace. I cut the recipe in half and used an 8x8 pan and 2 eggs. I will make this again and try it with different fruit. Thanks!