Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from Janelle Bloom's microwave cookbook. It is easy to make and so delicious. She says she got the recipe from friends who own a cafe in Hornsby. She also warns not to overcook it. This is the dessert I am always asked to make.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 150 g butter
- 250 g dates, pitted and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs (60 grams each)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- Caramel sauce: Put all ingredient in a 2-litre ovenproof glass jug. Cook, uncovered in the microwave for 5-6 minutes on 850 watts/high/100%, stirring 2-3 times during cooking. Remove from microwave and set aside.
- Grease a 22 cm ring container with high sides.
- Combine dates and water in a heatproof dish. cook, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes on 850 watts/high/100%.
- Quickly stir in bicarb of soda (mixture will froth, so don't worry).
- Cream together butter, sugar and orange rind. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in flour and date mixture. Spread in prepared container. Place on a rack and cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes on 650 watts/medium high/70%.
- Gently pour two-thirds of the caramel sauce over the half-cooked pudding. Put it back into microwave oven and cook, uncovered, for a further 5-6 minutes on 500 watts/medium/50%. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning out.
- Serve with remaining sauce.
Gorgeous flavour with the orange rind, and cooking in the microwave meant that it was cooked twice as fast as in the oven. Thanks!
This was JUST like sticky toffee pudding and totally divine! I made it tonight for a little farewell supper for Malcolm and I - I am travelling back to England tomorrow! He has about 3/4's of it left - lucky devil!! The microwave method is so easy and it still comes out sticky and luscious.....I have packed up my camera and laptop, but I DO have photos which I will post later! Made for PAC Autumn 2007 and my LAST PAC baby to leave the nest - I left the best 'til last! Merci encore Petra, a bientot! FT:-)