We love Rhubarb, we even grow it. Strawberries can be added to make a good fruit compote. Can be made with SPLENDA for diabetic.
- Variations; White wine can be substituted for water, in which don't use vanilla.
- Whole strawberries can be add to the hot compote.
- Wash rhubarb, if young and tender, do not peel; otherwise strip off tough stringy coating, Cut in 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces.
- Place in pot and sprinkle with sugar.
- Add lemon or orange peel.
- Cover and simmer slowly 5 to 10 minutes or until tender, but doesn't lose its shape.
- If using vanilla stir in now, taste to see if more sugar is needed, if so stir sugar in while fruit is hot so sugar can dissolve.
- Chill to serve.
Yum! I halved the recipe because I only had one pound of rhubarb. I used Splenda instead of sugar to cut down on calories. This is sooo good. I have been eating this with cottage cheese and and can't wait to try it over some ice cream. Thanks for sharing this keeper.
i made this with lemon and added a pint of strawberries at the end of cooking time. wonderful sauce, i served it over a custard pudding. this was the first time i ever tried rhubarb, but it won't be the last. thanks barb for another good one!
Very good, I used splenda instead of the sugar and the lemnon rind. I put some on my cod for supper tonight, very good!! DH put some on his icecream, and i will freeze the rest to enjoy later, thanks for posting.