GT in SA's Note:
A traditional South African dessert. Not haute cuisine but great comfort food. Usually served to finish off a Sunday lunch featuring leg of lamb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 ml salt
- 10 ml baking powder
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter
- 100 ml milk
- 1Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- 2Blend in margarine/butter with fingertips until mixture attains crumbled consistency.
- 3Beat together egg and milk and mix with flour mixture until soft (but not stiff)dough - add more milk as necessary to achieve right consistency.
- 4Preheat oven to 120C (220F).
- 5Heat water and 25ml butter in 4 litre (4-quart) pot to boiling and drop spoonsful of dough mixture into boiling water/butter.
- 6Place lid on pot and boil for 15 minutes - do NOT lift lid to peek!
- 7Remove dumplings with slotted spoon and place in ovenproof dish or bowl (preferably glass) with lid. Liberally sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- 8Add remaining cinnamon sugar to water in pot and bring to boil.
- 9Pour cinnamon syrup over dumplings, replace lid and place in preheated oven until serving - at least 30min.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Souskluitjies (Dumplings in Cinnamon Syrup)
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.3
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 69.0 mg
- Sodium 684.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 30.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g