Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A soft fudge flavoured with golden syrup an vanilla. Itnstead of golden syrup you can use corn syrup or honey. Or mix in melted chocolate before leaving to set. I've been trying to make a soft fudge for ages now, and this is the first that worked! It's all in the technique of cooling. A sugar thermometer is advised, as it makes things alot easier. The time on this recipe is guessed..i don't time myself when i make things. Alot of your time will be taken up waiting for the syrup to cool to the correct temp, so be patient, and have a book handy!
- Heat the milk, water, syrup, glucose, salt, margarine and sugar in a heavy based pan, untit the sugar has dissolved, and the margarine has melted. Stir constantly.
- Bring to the boil, and boil rapidly. Stir constantly, otherwise it will catch on the bottom of the pan. Boil until the sugar thermometer reads 115oC (240oF), which is the soft ball stage.
- Remove from heat, and add vanilla, but do not stir in (it should bubble up). Leave the pan on a side to cool to 45oC. This could take quite a while (45 minutes aprox.).
- Beat until thick, and it looses its gloss. Scrape into a prepared tin to cool. (i used an 11inx7in roasting tin for this). Leave in the fridge for 3 hours, or until firm.
- Dip in melted chocolate and roll in chopped nuts for an added touch.