Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Vanilla ice cream that is perfect by itself or topped with chocolate sauce. Proccessing time in included in cooking time. Prep time includes cooling time (4 hours) but not freezer time (4 hours or overnight). Recipe source: Coyote Cafe Cook book.
- Over medium low heat heat the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla bean until it scalds. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in a little of the milk/cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking well.
- Return all to saucepan and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until bubbles appear and custard is thickened. DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat and pour into a 1 quart container.
- Let cool and then remove vanilla bean.
- Refrigerate (2-4 hours) to cool completely.
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Freeze in freezer until frozen hard. Let soften at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.