Quick and simple to make, these delicious cookies can provide a little pick-me-up during a dreary winter day or give someone special to you a little smile.
For the Cookies
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 cup well drained pineapple chunk, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated baby carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup dried black currants or 1⁄2 cup chopped raisins
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Frosting
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 -2 teaspoon pineapple juice (from the can)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated baby carrots
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted almond
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Stir in eggs one at a time, until smooth.
- Add honey, pineapple, carrot, and vanilla, stirring until mixed.
- Sift flour and stir into wet mixture along with the oats, salt, baking soda, baking powder, currants, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger.
- Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased or parchment paper lined baking sheet a couple of inches apart.
- Bake cookies in the preheated 375F oven for 10-12 minutes or until browned around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two, then finish cooling on wire racks.
- Mix together ingredients for icing until it is a smooth thick consistency, adding additional powdered sugar if necessary.
- Spread on cookies and allow the icing to set and dry for one or more hours, then pack between layers of waxed paper.