This is a Margaret Fulton recipe and has been a family favourite for nearly 30 years. The original called for walnuts (I have never used) so have made that a footnote in the directions. Serve with whipped cream and/or ice cream. A comfort dessert.
- 3 ounces self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (hot)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease 6 cup oven-proof dish.
- For the sauce mix together cocoa and brown sugar in a jug and pour in hot water and stir till sugar is dissolved.
- For the pudding sift flour, cocoa, instant coffee powder and salt together.
- Cream butter and sugar until light, gradually beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add a little flour, then some milk (alternate between the two keeping a soft consistency) finishing with the flour (don't worry if you don't use up all the milk.
- Spoon mixture into well greased oven dish and spread evenly. If using sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts.
- Spoon sauce over the pudding mixture till you have a layer of sauce then pour the rest over the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream and or ice cream and walnut halves if using.