2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 50 mins
Chef #621275's Note:
Got this out of Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey Desserts for the serious sweet tooth by: Jill O'Connor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the rice, milk, sugar, vanilla bean, cinnamon, and salt in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat and stir to combine.
- 2Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring every 5 minutes as the mixture starts to thicken, for about 30 minutes.
- 4Continue cooking until the rice is tender but not too mushy, about 15 minutes longer. The milk will be thick and the rice tender, but the mixture will still be a little soupy, which is what you want. (As pudding cools, it thickens, and if it is too thick while still hot, it will firm up into a thick stodgy lump without the unctuous creaminess of a great rice pudding).
- 5In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream together and stir into the rice pudding.
- 6Continue cooking the pudding over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, until the eggs are cooked through and pudding is creamy and glossy, but still fairly soupy.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Grate a little nutmeg (if using) into the pudding.
- 8Remove the vanilla bean.
- 9Pour the pudding into a serving bowl and press plastic wrap over the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- 10Refrigerate until cold, at least 2-3 hours.
- 11Serve Cold.
- 12Note: This pudding is delicious as it is, or you can fold a dollop of whipped cream into each serving, or layer the pudding in a parfait glass with dulce de leche or caramel sauce, or just drizzle some sauce on top before serving.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Risotto Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.4
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 194.4 mg
- Sodium 356.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 51.0 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: