Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
When hot from the oven, serve with whipped or ice cream. Or cool and cut in squares. Easier than the regular matrimonial date squares my grandmother spent hours preparing
- In a saucepan, cook rhubarb with 1/2 cup of the sugar until it is tender.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar with cornstarch and add to the rhubarb mixture.
- Continue cooking 4-5 minutes.
- Sift flour and baking soda, brown sugar and rolled oats.
- Cut in butter.
- Pat half of this mixture into a 9 x 13 pan (greased).
- Spoon cooled rhubarb mixture over.
- Top with other half of crumbed mixture.
- Bake 375F 35-45 minutes.
- Cut in squares once cooled.
This was GREAT! I've never had rhubarb so I had no clue what I was getting into. I ended up with about 2.75c of diced rhubarb and was AMAZED at the amount of liquid yielded from that and the 1/2c of sugar. Instead of 3/4c of butter I used 1/2c of butter plus 1/4c of applesauce. Followed the recipe exactly and LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!
The first time I made this the topping was too dry and just fell apart - but the family loved it anyway. So I made it again, but this time substituted applesauce for half the butter. The topping held together much better and the family STILL loved it!
These are excellent. I made them with rhubarb from our garden and we all loved them.