Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Why did the bear cross the road? To eat Mommy's rhubarb cake.....so said my son. This is an easy coffee cake that you will want to let cool completely before cutting into. If you like it more tart, or more sweet, just adjust the sugar amount to your liking. You may use Splenda in the place of sugar. I used my hands to mix up the crust as it makes quite a thick dough. Timing does not include cooling period.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, egg, and melted butter together to make a thick dough.
- Using your hands or a pastry roller, spread the dough evenly into the pan.
- Place rhubarb, butter, 1/4 cup water and sugar into saucepan and heat over low heat until soft, stirring to ensure it doesn't stick.
- Mix 1/4 cup water with cornstarch and add to rhubarb while stirring to thicken slightly.
- Pour filling over crust.
- Using your hands or a pastry cutter, mix butter, flour and sugar together until it is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the rhubarb layer.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes. If the topping does not brown for you, you may put the broiler on 350 degrees until lightly browned.
- Cool completely and serve.
- Watch out for the bears when eating, or they will cross the road and steal it.
YUM!!! My mom shared "some" of her rhubarb and I can't come up with a enough ways to use it, so I tried this recipe. So glad I did. I made with one cup sugar and a half cup Splenda. For the topping, I used brown sugar. Delicious.
This recipe sounds good, but it tastes even better. Froze some of the bars for later. Otherwise, we would have just eaten them all. I need a bigger rhubarb patch... (I replaced half the sugar with Splenda.)
These were wonderful. While making them, by Father-In-Law wanted to know what the heck Rhubarb Bears were. I told him to be patient, and he will find out. Well, he just loved them, as did the rest of us. Yummmppy! Great easy and economical recipe - it doesn't get better than than! Thanks for posting, I will be making these again!!!!