Why did the bear cross the road? To eat Mommy's rhubarb cake.....so said my son. This is an easy coffee cake that you will want to let cool completely before cutting into. If you like it more tart, or more sweet, just adjust the sugar amount to your liking. You may use Splenda in the place of sugar. I used my hands to mix up the crust as it makes quite a thick dough. Timing does not include cooling period.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, egg, and melted butter together to make a thick dough.
- Using your hands or a pastry roller, spread the dough evenly into the pan.
- Place rhubarb, butter, 1/4 cup water and sugar into saucepan and heat over low heat until soft, stirring to ensure it doesn't stick.
- Mix 1/4 cup water with cornstarch and add to rhubarb while stirring to thicken slightly.
- Pour filling over crust.
- Using your hands or a pastry cutter, mix butter, flour and sugar together until it is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the rhubarb layer.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes. If the topping does not brown for you, you may put the broiler on 350 degrees until lightly browned.
- Cool completely and serve.
- Watch out for the bears when eating, or they will cross the road and steal it.