Make and share this Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 -5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.
- In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk.
- Add to the batter in three parts alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda.
- Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
- Fill cupcake tin 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake in oven until a knife or toothpick comes out clean. (about 20 minutes).
- Cream together cheese and butter until creamy and smooth.
- Gradually stir in sugar. Amount varies, depending on how sweet you want it to be.
- Stir in one teaspoon of vanilla.