Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This new "Dinning on a $ Cooking Contest" recipe was created with Ramen Noodles the "Star" ingredient, plus four others on the special ingredient list which include egg, nutmeg, cottage cheese and peanuts. The noodles and the cottage cheese give the bread body & moisture, where as the peanuts give it a nice crunchy texture, The peanut flavor doesn't over power the nutmeg. Serve warm with sweet butter. Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces ramen noodles (any flavor)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 cup salted peanuts (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- Boil two cups of water.
- Remove from heat and add Ramen noodles and let noodles soak for 2 minutes. Do not use the seasoning packet.
- Strain water from noodles and blot dry with a paper towel.
- Place noodles on a cutting board and cut cross wise until noodles are all about 1” long.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl use an electric mixer to mix flour, sugar, nutmeg, baking powder, vanilla, egg, milk, and cottage cheese together until well blended.
- Fold in Ramen noodles and mix well with spoon.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped peanuts into batter.
- Grease inside of baking dish with pat of margarine.
- Pour batter into 2-quart square baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining peanuts over uncooked batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until inserted toothpick in middle comes out clean.
- Cooking time does not include boiling water.
- (Serve with or without butter).
Oh mmm, what a creative way of creating a lovely breakfast treat. We all enjoyed this bread a lot. It has a nice flavour and soft texture.
I made a couple of changes due to personal preference and what I had on hand: I used a flax egg instead on a real egg, reduced the nutmeg to 1/8 ts and used apple pie spice for the rest, reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup.
Also I used a tad less peanuts for the topping as the whole 1/2 cup would not fit.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this winner with us, Acadia.
Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #52 November 2012.
We gave this 5 stars for the most creative use of ramen noodles. This is a quick bread that is nice to taste when you are tired of pumpkin or zucchini bread. It would have helped if the ingredients were listed in order, and I didn't know what to do with the 1/2 cup of butter, so I just used it to butter our pieces after baking. The peanuts are the key ingredient in this recipe, don't leave them out! thank you for sharing your recipe!
Made this using a 9" loaf pan & that worked fine! Couldn't imagine using the noodles in a bread, but was determined to triy it anyway & pleased with the results ~ Served it with my own mix of chunky PB & honey butter for a very satisfying treat!