1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Michelle Kasper's Note:
A must try for anyone who loves pumpkin!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 (5 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons premium golden agave tequila or 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pumpkin Seed Praline
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Cook 1 cup sugar in a dry 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a fork, until melted and pale golden.
- 3Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden, about 5 minutes.
- 4Quickly and carefully remove hot dish from oven and immediately pour caramel into dish, tilting it to cover bottom and sides.
- 5(Leave oven on.) Keep tilting as caramel cools and thickens enough to stay in place.
- 6Scald whole milk with evaporated milk in a saucepan and remove from heat.
- 7Beat eggs and remaining cup sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- 8Beat in salt, pumpkin, tequila, and spices.
- 9Pour milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl and beat into pumpkin mixture in a slow stream until combined well.
- 10Pour custard over caramel in dish and set in a water bath of 1-inch hot water.
- 11Put pan in middle of oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees F.
- 12Bake until golden brown on top and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours, possibly longer.
- 13Remove dish from water bath and transfer to a rack to cool.
- 14Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 6 hours.
- 15To unmold flan, dip bottom of souffle dish briefly (20 to 30 seconds) in a warm water bath.
- 16Then, run a thin knife around flan to loosen from sides of dish.
- 17Wiggle dish from side to side and, when flan moves freely in dish, invert a large serving platter with a lip over dish.
- 18Holding dish and platter securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto platter.
- 19Caramel will pour out over and around it.
- 20Cut flan into wedges and serve with caramel spooned over and with shards of praline.
- 21Pumpkin Seed Praline: Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- 22Lightly oil a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- 23Cook sugar, water, and a pinch of salt in a deep 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a metal fork, until melted and pale golden.
- 24Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden.
- 25Immediately stir in pumpkin seeds and quickly pour onto foil, spreading into a thin sheet before it hardens.
- 26(If caramel hardens and is difficult to spread, put in a 400 degree F oven until warm enough to spread, 1 to 2 minutes.) Cool praline on baking sheet on a rack until completely hardened, then break into large pieces.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Flan with Pumpkin Seed Praline
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.0
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.5 mg
- Sodium 170.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 77.7 g
- Protein 12.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: