When I was growing up my mom used to make a pineapple sherbet & freeze it in long metal trays used for making ice cubes. This recipe approximates her recipe of years ago. Preparation time does not include the time it takes to partially freeze & refreeze the sherbet.
- From the lemon remove the zest & chop the zest fine, then squeeze juice from the lemon.
- In a small saucepan, heat sugar, half-and-half & zest until sugar is melted, but DO NOT BOIL. Set aside to cool.
- When sugar mixture is cool, add lemon juice & pineapple AND the pineapple juice.
- Freeze only until it is frozen an inch or so out from the edge.
- Spoon the partially frozen mixture into a mixing bowl & beat with electric mixer, before folding in whipping cream & mixing well.
- Spoon the sherbet back into the freezer trays & partially freeze again, then beat again & refreeze before serving.