1/7 Photos of Pineapple Coconut Empanadas
Susie D's Note:
These tasty little treats can be habit forming. I found the recipe in a grocery store circular and have made them several times since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup solid shortening
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 cup chilled water, plus
- 1 teaspoon chilled water
For the filling
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1To make dough: Sift flour & salt into a large bowl: Add shortening and mix with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes (the mixture should look like a coarse meal).
- 2Add sour cream and stir: Add i/2 of water at a time, stirring until the dough forms a ball.
- 3Divide dough into 24 small balls and place on plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- 4Heat oven to 425°F and spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
- 5To make filling: Combine WELL DRAINED pineapple, sugar or Splenda, coconut, and vanilla in bowl; set aside.
- 6Using the 3 T flour as needed, roll each dough ball into a 6-inch circle.
- 7Place 2 T filling in the center of each dough round:Roll& pinch edges of dough together to seal: place on baking sheet.
- 8Pierce empanadas with a fork and brush tops with sweetened condensed milk.
- 9Bake for 18 minutes or until golden.
- 10Cool& serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple Coconut Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.9
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.3 mg
- Sodium 69.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g