Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this for the first time last summer for my husband's birthday. He loves anything with meringue. It was a major hit with all my guests even my fussy children. When I was going to make it again, I noticed that my husband had added a comment to the recipe, "Make Again"!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- kiwi or blueberries or strawberry (or whatever you like)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Continue beating while adding sugar slowly, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Add vanilla and vinegar.
- Beat until very stiff.
- Place waxed or brown paper on a cookie sheet and spread mixture in a circle, slightly smaller than desired size.
- Bake 1 hour at 275.
- Turn oven off and leave meringue in oven overnight to dry.
- Peel off paper.
- Top with whipped cream, fresh fruit, and toasted almonds.
LOVED THIS!!! Thanks bert for a recipe that really looked like a professional had done it and tasted wonderful. I had saved this a long time ago just based on the picture and finally got up enough nerve to make it as my blue berries and strawberries are in full bloom right now. Had company for dinner and they could not believe how pretty it looked let alone how great it taste. I was really nervous about the meringue but it turned out to be so simple and making it the night before made it even better. Before dinner I just mixed the strawberries and blueberries with the whipcream and then topped with the toasted almonds - not a bite was left over - the taste was so fresh and not overly sweet - just right. Sure not a weight conscious recipe - but wonderful for all those special occassions.
Loved it ! this was easy to make and tasted great. I topped mine off with strawberries and passionfruit pulp and our guest (who'd never had a Pav before) was wowed by the marshmellowy inside and crunchier outside. PLease see my rating system: a wonderful 4 stars for a georgous dessert. Thanks!