Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
So colorful and tasty. From Jose Andres.
Make and share this Oranges in Red Wine - Naranjas Al Vino Tinto recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 lemon zest (removed with peeler)
- 1 orange zest (removed with peeler)
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 star anise pods
- 4 oranges (preferably valencia)
- 1 lemon
- 6 mint leaves, small
- In a medium saucepan, combine all the syrup ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture is reduced by one third, about 25 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and refrigerate until cooled. Check the syrup's consistency. It should be like honey. If too thin, return it to pan and reduce for a few more minutes. If too thick, add a little water. Set aside.
- Slice off the tops and bottoms of the oranges. Then remove all the peel and pith around the oranges.
- Slice along the sides of each segment and pull out the segments.
- Repeat with lemons.
- Spoon the syrup onto a plate and arrange the orange and lemon segments over it. Sprinkle mint leaves on top.
I love the flavors and am so glad I made this. This would be an elegant dish to serve to guest. I can see using the cooked zest in a martini or something, if you use a bar tool type zester to cut the zest thin. When I took a bit of the orange with the sauce the anise flavor. But when you ate the lemon with the sauce the lemon brought out the full range of flavors. Now, I'm just an everyday home cook, so I can't explain why that happened with the different fruits but it sure is an experience for your taste buds. Made during * Zaar World Tour 5* 2009 game for team *Genies of Gourmet* as part of the *Spain Portugal Cooking Challenge Vive Valencia*
Wow! I used one orange and one lemon, reserving the syrup for a marinade later on in the week. I actually liked the taste of the lemon with the syrup and a bite of mint. This really would go with any type of citrus. Made for RRR, ZWT5.
Whoa. Way over the top deeeeelicious!! And easy! I'm adding this to my summer brunch menu. The only thing I'll do differently is to not slice up the lemon. Perhaps grapefruit & oranges? Made for Viva Valencia! ZWT5 5/09.