This is a Spanish recipe from the region of Euskadi. The flan has no dairy in it, but the coulis is made with whipping cream. It seems complicated, but it's easy to prepare. Can be served at room temperature or chilled. Found online for ZWT 5.
- Place the 4 tbs sugar in an ovenproof 6"round pan. Ladle pan around to distribute the sugar evenly. Place the pan over low heat on the stove burner. Let the sugar melt and DO NOT stir. When it begins to turn a caramel color, you can tip the pan slightly to redistribute caramel. Once all sugar is melted and it has turned golden brown, the caramel is ready. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Zest one orange. Juice this orange as well as the remaining 8.
- Place eggs and remaining sugar in a large bowl. Beat with a wire whisk until pale and thick. Add the orange zest and juice. Beat until well combined.
- Place the prepared pan inside a larger one. Pour the egg and orange mixture into the caramel covered pan. Pour hot water into the larger pan, to create a water bath. Cover both pans loosely with foil and place in hot oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Remove the pan with the flan from water bath and place on a rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make coulis:.
- Bring the whipping cream and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add the raspberries and Cointreau. Pass through a fine sieve. Let cool.
- Unmold flan onto a serving platter and serve with the coulis.