Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the recipe my Granny has used for as long as I can remember. My brothers, sister and I would get so excited when Pop-Pop would get the hand-crank ice cream maker out. We knew we were in for the best homemade ice cream ever. No idea where this originates from.
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a saucepan.
- Over low heat, cook and stir constantly for 25-30 minutes or until the mixture gets thickened and will coat a spoon; cover and chill.
- Add in half-and-half and the remaining ingredients to the chilled mixture; stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the container of an 5-quart electric ice cream maker (or hand-crank freezer for you die-hards).
- Freeze following the manufacturer's directions.
- Serve right away or transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm.