Since I bought an ice cream maker, I always want to try new recipes. This one looks great and I'll try it this summer with fresh strawberries. From Rachael Ray.
- In a medium glass or strainless steel bowl, combine the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; mash with a fork.
- Set the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks; gradually whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat until steaming hot and frothy, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the custard into the bowl of strawberries.
- Let stand, whisking occasionally, until cool.
- Using an ice cream maker, process the cooled custard according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze.