Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Since I bought an ice cream maker, I always want to try new recipes. This one looks great and I'll try it this summer with fresh strawberries. From Rachael Ray.
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved (about 12 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- ice water
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 large egg yolks
- In a medium glass or strainless steel bowl, combine the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; mash with a fork.
- Set the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks; gradually whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat until steaming hot and frothy, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the custard into the bowl of strawberries.
- Let stand, whisking occasionally, until cool.
- Using an ice cream maker, process the cooled custard according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze.
We just got a new ice cream freezer and this was the maiden voyage. This ice cream is very good. We loved it. Made for Think Pink 2012.
This is good but I don't find it as good as Hagen Daz strawberry ice cream. I found the texture a bit too custardy maybe. It is also not as rich. I used pretty good store bought strawberries, 10% cream which is half-and-half in Canada, plus the rest of the ingredients. Not a make again ice cream. Made for Please Review My Recipe: from 10 July 2011 ~
Boomie - this is a fabulous ice cream recipe! Honestly it was the first ice cream I've ever made myself with my new ice cream maker. The only thing I would suggest in the instructions is to mention that waiting overnight for the mixture to cool is best before processing. I was not prepared for that amount of time - so it may be worth listing in your overview. My daughter raved about the taste of this ice cream and wants me to make some more for her to take home. Fabulous! Tagged in PRMR game.