1/3 Photos of Old Fashioned Root Beer Float Cake
Gale Gand and Jacquelyn Smola did this one their show Sweet Dreams. I've modified it a bit to suit our tastes but it went over well at a recent birthday party. Do not substitute root beer flavoring for the extract as it doesn't have the same concentrated flavor. Also, when I made this in a 9x13 pan it baked up very high so take that into consideration when you decide which pan(s) to use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon root beer extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper or 1 9 x 13.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter; then add the sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- 4Meanwhile, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, pudding and salt.
- 5With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the water and eggs to the butter mixture until blended.
- 6Mix in the root beer extract and vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk to form a smooth batter.
- 7Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and bake until just set, about 30 to 40 minutes for round pans, 45-50 for a 9x13. When using round pans allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes, and then invert onto cooling racks to cool completely before frosting.
- 8Frosting: In a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the confectioners' sugar and butter.
- 9Mix on low speed until well blended; then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- 10Add the cream and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed to reach spreading consistency.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Root Beer Float Cake
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 758.2
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 147.9 mg
- Sodium 590.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 79.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g