Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Are you tired of serving the 'same old - same old' dessert to your family and friends? Then skip the cake and coffee tonight and serve up this delicious treat that will have everyone coming back for seconds. Old fashioned bread pudding gets a hip new update with chocolate, walnuts and Kahlua.
Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- granulated sugar (for dusting the pan)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces fine quality bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 7 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 7 cups of cubed brioche bread or 7 cups challah or 7 cups white bread, with crusts removed cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- vanilla ice cream
Kahlua Caramel Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Begin by buttering 12 small ramekins and dusting with granulated sugar.
- Bread Pudding:
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until steamy (DO NOT BOIL).
- Turn off the heat and add the chocolate, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, walnuts and Kahlùa. Stir to mix.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with the 1/2 cup sugar. Pour into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the bread cubes.
- Transfer the pudding mixture to the ramekins (DO NOT OVER FILL - Fill just to the top) and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until nicely browned and set, about 30 minutes.
- Kahlùa Caramel Sauce:
- Combine sugar, water and cream of tartar in a small saucepan. DO NOT STIR. Bring the mixture to a boil; cook until the caramel browns. When the caramel is medium brown, remove from heat and add cream. Let simmer. Add Kahlua.
- To serve: Ladle some sauce onto each plate, unmold the ramekin, place the pudding on top of the sauce. Serve warm, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Cook's Tip: Other serving versions include serving the pudding warm and topped with a dab of whipped cream OR cold, topped with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and chocolate chips.