From Judy Rosenberg's 'Rosie's Bakery All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed No-Holds-Barred Baking Book'. I bake for friends and family all the time and hands down, this recipe is requested most often -- usually with Mini Chocolate Chips and Mac Nuts. DIRECTIONS MAY LOOK INTIMIDATING BUT THE RECIPE COMES TOGETHER IN MINUTES; follow step-by-step instructions for perfect buttery, light and crispy shortbread with every batch!
- Preheat oven to 275°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or leave them ungreased.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt together into a small bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the Butter and Sugar together in a medium-sized mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 1-1/2 minutes. Stop the mixer to scrape the bowl several times with a rubber spatula.
- Add the dry ingredients on low speed and continue to blend for 10 seconds. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, 2 to 2-1/2 minutes. Scrape the bowl.
- Add the Chocolate Chips and Nuts with several turns of the mixer, then complete the mixing by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Measure out generous rounded tablespoonfuls of dough and roll them into balls with your hands.
- Place the balls 1-1/2 inches apart on the cookie sheets and press them down lightly to form a flat bottom (cookie should be about 1/2-inch thick).
- Bake the cookies until they are crunchy and golden, about 1 hour. To test for doneness, remove one cookie from the sheet and cut it in half. There should be no doughy strip in the center. Allow the cookies to cool on a rack.
- Makes 15 - 17 cookies.