2 hrs 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This is Martha Stewart's recipe for making beautiful little mushrooms to adorn a buche de noel--or just to make because they are so pretty. Don't make these on a rainy or damp day. Originally posted here by Mean Chef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fill a medium saucepan 1/4 full with water.
- 2Set over medium heat; bring water to a simmer.
- 3Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer and place over saucepan.
- 4Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, about 3 minutes.
- 5Rub the mixture between fingers to test.
- 6Transfer bowl to mixer stand, and whip, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, until meringue is cool and stiff glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- 7Add vanilla; mix until combined.
- 8Use immediately.
- 9Place Meringue in an 18-inch pastry bag fitted with a large 3/4 inch round tip.
- 10Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 11Pipe meringue, forming domes 1 to 2 inches in diameter.
- 12Pipe a stem shape for each dome.
- 13Place baking sheets in oven for 1 hour, reduce heat to 175 degrees F and continue baking until meringues are completely dry to the touch, but not browned, 45 to 60 minutes more.
- 14Fill a medium saucepan 1/4 full with water.
- 15Set over medium heat, and bring water to a simmer.
- 16Place bittersweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl, and set over simmering water.
- 17Turn off heat; stir occasionally until completely melted.
- 18Using an offset spatula, spread bottoms of domed meringues with chocolate; let sit at room temperature.
- 19Place white chocolate in a heatproof bowl, and set over simmering water.
- 20Turn off heat; stir occasionally until completely melted.
- 21Allow to cool slightly.
- 22Spread white chocolate over dark chocolate; use a toothpick to create lines from the center of the cap to the edges.
- 23Let set in a cool, dry place.
- 24Poke a small hole in the center of each mushroom cap using a paring knife.
- 25Dip the pointed end of each of the mushroom stems in melted white chocolate, and insert into hole in center of cap.
- 26Allow to set.
- 27Meringue mushrooms should be kept in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meringue Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.3
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 14.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 0.9 g