Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Homemade simple recipe that generally turns out good. works well with flavourful substitutions. originally from Epicurious.
- Oil bottom and sides of a 13x9x2-inch rectangular metal baking pan and dust bottom and sides with some confectioners' sugar.
- In bowl of a standing electric mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand to soften.
- In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy or digital thermometer registers 240°F., about 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
- With standing or a hand-held electric mixer beat mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume, about 6 minutes if using standing mixer or about 10 minutes if using hand-held mixer. In a large bowl with cleaned beaters beat whites (or reconstituted powdered whites) until they just hold stiff peaks. Beat whites and vanilla into sugar mixture until just combined. Pour mixture into baking pan and sift 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar evenly over top. Chill marshmallow, uncovered, until firm, at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day.
- Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board. Lifting up 1 corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and let drop onto cutting board. With a large knife trim edges of marshmallow and cut marshmallow into roughly 1-inch cubes. Sift remaining confectioners' sugar into a large bowl and add marshmallows in batches, tossing to evenly coat. Marshmallows keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1 week.
This is my third time making them. Added yellow food color, and will decorate like Spongebob. I tried using lemon Jello on my second batch. It didn't work for me, though the flavor was kind of good. Whenever I followed this recipe, they turned out excellently.
This is a great recipe for homemade marshmallows! I will definitely use it again!