Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Inspired by Boomette's Lemon Loaf I developed this for my diet using it as a guide. Moist, and delicious without sacrificing flavor it is almost guilt free. I like to add a touch of almond extract, not enough to make a big taste difference but give it a little warm lift
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- Beat butter in a big bowl with sugar, Splenda and apple sauce and 1/4 cup egg substitute.
- Add the rest of egg substitute (or second egg) and beat. Add the milk.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and lemon peel as well as almond extract if using. . Pour into egg mixture. Mix only to wet.
- With a spoon, pour in a greased loaf pan of 8 x 4 inch.
- Cook in the oven at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the loaf is cooked. Remove from oven and put on glaze.
- Glaze: Put lemon juice and Splenda in a small saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Spoon over warm loaf.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, cool and wrap.
This was my first venture into a lowfat baked good. The flavour is AWESOME nice and lemony. I did not care for the texture. I might of overmixed it. Dh loved it . I did use the two eggs and not the substitute. Made for 1,2,3 Hit wonders
YUMMY! This recipe DID NOT taste low fat/low sugar... it was delicious! I followed the recipe except I subbed lemon extract for the almond extract (I wanted mine extra-zingy!). The loaf baked for 55 minutes and came out perfect! I will make this again - and I might try adding some blueberries for extra goodness! Thanks for posting this recipe! Great adaptation!
Delicious! lowfat and lowcal but doesn't taste like it. I used the almond extract and cooked for 55 minutes. made for Newest Zaar Tag.