Bird created this very simple and beautiful recipe with great flavor that you can be made several hours before serving. You can opt to grill the fruit on skewers for k-bobs or just mix and serve in a decorative bowl. For the dip, I simply added shredded coconut to my sister's wonderful Kathy's Fruit Dip, creating a 'family' recipe. :)
- 1 pink lady apple, cut into 20 bite size pieces
- 1 pear, cut into 20 bite size pieces
- 2 bananas, firm, cut into 20 slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 20 fresh pineapple chunks (about 1/2 of a pineapple)
- 20 seedless grapes
- 20 fresh strawberries, tops removed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or Splenda)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened (or cream cheese)
- 16 ounces vanilla yogurt (or lemon or strawberry)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- FRUIT: Place fruit gently into a large bowl or ziploc bag.
- MARINADE: Mix all ingredients well and pour gently over fruit. Cover or seal bag and refrigerate for 1-3 hours.
- DRESSING: In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in remaining dressing ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill 1-3 hours.
- AS A FRUIT SALAD: Drain fruit from marinade (discard marinade). Mix fruit together with dressing and serve immidiately.
- AS KABOBS; Drain fruit from marinade (discard marinade). Using 20 wooden skewers, alternately arrange fruit onto skewers. Place on grill and heat for just a few minutes, turning one halfway through. Serve with dressing on the side or brush with dip the last minute of grilling.
Made for dinner, ..we enjoyed this, I made this as a fruit salad last night, other than cutting the recipe in half, used cream cheese, and a red delicious apple we were pleased. The company enjoyed this as they were impressed with the dressing too. Great tasting salad !!! Made for PRMR tag.
Delicious. I skipped the dressing but added coconut at the end. The amounts of fruit I used was a bit more -- using the whole pineapple and extra strawberries and grapes. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this keeper!
Made this as a fruit salad & IT'S GREAT TASTING, & although we only got 14 servings from it, I really can't quibble, especially when I get an extra large serving everytime! Pink Lady's I didn't find, but managed with a couple of Fujis! Thanks for a great tasting salad! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]