Delicious cupcakes with a Mad Hatter twist! Great for any tea party; even Alice would approve. I've tweaked the basic recipe from a Pillsbury Bake-off finalist, Kathryn Fitch.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla flavor pudding and pie filling
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 12 -14 dark chocolate-covered cherries
- Line muffin cups with paper baking cups. Combine flour, pudding mix, baking powder and salt.
- In separate large mixing bowl, gradually add sugar to butter.
- Cream until light and fluffy.
- Using electric mixer at MED speed, add eggs, vanilla, cherries, and cherry juice; beat 1 minute.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning with milk and ending with dry ingredients.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350F.; for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from oven; quickly- make a slight indentation in the middle top of each cupcake.
- Place a chocolate covered cherry candy into each indentation and return to oven for 2-3 minutes to soften chocolate.
- Remove from oven and immediately, swirl softened chocolate over top of cupcakes, leaving cherries in place.
I made these cupcakes last year for our family on Christmas Eve and everyone just loved them. I am going to make them this year for our annual neighborhood party between Christmas and New Years. The only time of the year that the stores stock chocolate covered cherries is during the holidays so I will make this an annual tradition. Thanks fo this delicious recipe.
Delicious! Caroline, simply delicious! We really enjoyed these easy and quick to make cupcakes. A lovely cherry cupcake with great texture and subltle flavour. I love how the chocolate covered cherry frosts the cupcake, it was perfect. Thanks so much for sharing.