Delicious cupcakes with a Mad Hatter twist! Great for any tea party; even Alice would approve. I've tweaked the basic recipe from a Pillsbury Bake-off finalist, Kathryn Fitch.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla flavor pudding and pie filling
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 12 -14 dark chocolate-covered cherries
- Line muffin cups with paper baking cups. Combine flour, pudding mix, baking powder and salt.
- In separate large mixing bowl, gradually add sugar to butter.
- Cream until light and fluffy.
- Using electric mixer at MED speed, add eggs, vanilla, cherries, and cherry juice; beat 1 minute.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning with milk and ending with dry ingredients.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350F.; for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from oven; quickly- make a slight indentation in the middle top of each cupcake.
- Place a chocolate covered cherry candy into each indentation and return to oven for 2-3 minutes to soften chocolate.
- Remove from oven and immediately, swirl softened chocolate over top of cupcakes, leaving cherries in place.