1/4 Photos of Lavender Flan
1 hr 30 mins
This makes 6 individual flans. The custard of these flans can be made a day in advanced. From the recipe files of the CIA: Culinary Institute of America. Prep and cook time does not include time to allow the custard come to room temp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lavender or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried lavender, crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1To make the custard: Combine the milk, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the lavender in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- 2Combine the eggs, egg yolks, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl and beat until light and frothy. Gradually add half the boiled milk mixture, stirring constantly. Gradually add the yolk mixture back to the milk mixture in the pan, stirring constantly. Strain the custard into a clean container and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (This may be done 1 day in advance.).
- 3To make the caramel: lightly oil six 4-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Combine all the caramel ingredients in a small pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar turns a light amber color, about 10 to 12 minutes. Pour an 1/8-inch layer of caramel into the bottom of each prepared ramekin or custard cup.
- 4To make flans: Preheat the oven to 325°F Place the ramekins or cups in a deep baking pan. Carefully pour the custard into the ramekins or cups.Add warm water halfway up the sides of the ramekins or cups. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the edges have set and a nickel-sized spot in the center jiggles slightly when a flan is shaken. Remove the baking pan from the oven and remove the flans from the baking pan.
- 5Let cool completely. Place in the fridge at least 6 hours or over night.
- 6Tip each flan out of the ramekin or cup onto a dessert plate and garnish with strawberries and mint.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lavender Flan
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.6
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 176.8 mg
- Sodium 72.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 49.6 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: