Prep 5 hrs
Cook 0 mins
You will *LOVE* this and no ice cream machine needed to make this delicious sherbet, this is just as good as the store bought! lime or orange works well also, I have tryed strawberry also but it is just not as good, haven't tryed it yet but you might want to add in some pureed fruit to the mixture --- This is habit forming once you start you won't be able to stop, I can eat the whole pan myself, it is *that* delicious --- you can make different flavored layers just make certain that the first layer is completely frozen before topping with the next layer, for layers you will need a 13 x 9-inch pan :)
- In a heat-proof bowl dissolve the Jello gelatin powder with boiling water and 3/4 cup sugar until NO granules remain (this might take a few minutes).
- Add in whipping cream or evaporated milk or table cream and 2 cups milk; sir until completely dissolved.
- Add in more sugar if desired to taste and stir until combined.
- Pour into an 8 or 9-inch square pan.
- Freeze until solid (about 5 hours.
- Let stand 8-10 minutes before serving.
- Store tightly covered with foil or remove to a plastic container and cover.
Very good! I tried strawberry for a girls' night, added some frozen strawberries to the mix and it was a hit. Brought the leftovers to my mom and she said, "Tastes like Jell-O." Basically meaning she didn't get the sherbet feeling out of it but she still enjoyed it. Lime is freezing right now :)
This was okay - the texture was nice, but it seemed to be lacking in flavor, so we ended up topping with berries. I've been trying sherbets with real fruit juices and the taste is so much more intense and to my liking, so this one just fell a little short of my expectations. I'm sorry - but thanks for sharing.
I felt like I won something when I looked in the pantry last night and actually had one package of lime jello left... Made this with a whole can of evaporated milk and used skim to bump it up to 3 cups... Tried it at 5 hours and it hadn't totally set up, so let it go another 2 hours.... This is amazing! Thanks so much for the recipe. Gonna try other flavors next. Kids and grown-ups loved it.