Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I do not know where I found this recipe originally. I've had it for over 15 years and it's a keeper but where it came from...is unknown. If you love key lime pie, you'll love this mousse.
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup key lime juice or 3⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 lime
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 honey graham crackers, finely crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, soak the gelatin in warm water until it softens and dissolves, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir the lime juice and zest into the gelatin and set mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and salt at high speed until thick and foamy, 7-10 minutes. Reduce speed to low and beat in key lime mixture.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate until mixture begins to set but is still liquidy- approx 1 hour.
- Whip 1 cup of whipping cream until it forms soft peaks and fold into key lime mixture.
- Pour half the key lime mixture into a large bowl and sprinkle a layer of crushed graham cracker crumbs on top, reserving 3 tablespoons. Fill bowl with remaining key lime mixture and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, whip remaining cream with confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Pipe or spoon cream on mousse and sprinkle remaining graham cracker crumbs on top.
- Garnish with sliced limes.
This tastes really great and is a good dessert to take to a potluck or a family get together. Thanks for sharing!