Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother in law made this for her family for many years. My husband just loves it when she served it warm. A little cream over it when it is warm sounds good to me. (There is no vanilla or cake mix in this recipe, if you wonder if I forget it.)
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add 1 egg at a time.
- Beat well after each egg added.
- Add milk and flour mixture alternately to creamed mixture.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour 1/2 coffeecake batter in pan, alternately with cinnamon mixture, leaving enough cinnamon mixture for top of cake.
- Bake in 9x13-inch greased pan for 1 hour at 325 degrees, or 2 greased loaf pans for 1 hour at 350 degrees, or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
Wonderful! Make it in the 13x9 pan. It bakes up nice and thick. It's a really satisfying treat!
This was good. I made it as directed, and was a tad disappointed that my cinnamon layer in the middle wasn't as full looking as the picture Rita posted, but I did two loaves so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. I also notice now that Rita has powdered sugar on top..does this mean she put the whole cinn/sugar combo in the middle layer? Hmmmm. If I make this again, I might try that. Our personal taste is for a crispier crunch from the sugar on top so I'd add less cinnamon next time. When I flipped it out of the loaf pans the cinnamon spilled off the top instead of making a sweet, crusty layer. It's a good recipe and makes a nice textured bread.