This recipe looks so delicious! It was given to the Courier Journal Newspaper by a chef that worked at Jack Fry's Restaurant in Louisville, KY and I just happened to come across it by chance! I do not have an ice cream freezer yet myself, so I don't know how long the passive cooking (freezing) time would be. I wanted to save this recipe for the day when I do get an ice cream freezer...
- In a heavy saucepan, bring cream to a simmer. Place the egg yolks in a bowl.
- Slowly beat the hot cream into the egg yolks. Pour the mixture back into the pan, and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or eggs will scramble. Remove from heat.
- Pour hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly. Then stir in the sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Stir the cold custard well, then freeze in your ice-cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Fold the marshmallow cream and crumbled graham crackers into the ice cream when it is finished.
BEST ICE CREAM EVER!!!! especially if you love key lime pie!! Like the other review said.. the marshmellow cream makes it!!! i would give it 10 stars if i good.. Thanks Stacky
WOW! Super ice cream!! I wasn't sure with the marshmallow cream, but dd said "that is what makes it." LOL! Definitely use real Key lime juice. :D I think the marshmallow creme is supposed to be 1 7 oz jar. Thanks, Stacky5!