Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Moist and delicious banana bread that doesn't taste low-fat! A healthier way to prepare an old favorite. This recipe makes two large loaves. Freezes well. I recommend using a blender or food processor to chop the walnuts (they should still be a little chunky, not quite as fine as sand) as well as to mash the bananas (puree until there are still a few small chunks left).
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup turbinado sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed (or be lightly pureed)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine oil, vanilla, honey and applesauce together.
- Add eggs, and beat well.
- Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg and salt, stirring gently to combine ingredients.
- Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Blend in chopped nuts. Stir just until smooth.
- Pour batter into two greased standard-sized loaf pans.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack for at least 1 hour before serving. Whatever you don't eat can be refrigerated or frozen and will keep for quite a while.
Great banana bread. I halved the recipe and made just one loaf. I used a half whole wheat/half white flour and since there is honey (another sweetener) I used splenda for the sugar. This took the full baking time and was a dense lovely loaf of banana and nutty goodness. (Oh, and I used pecans because we were out of walnuts.)
Great recipe. I made this today & my husband & I both like it very much. It went together easily and has a great taste. I'm not usually a fan of banana (anything) but I do like this.