This is my recipe for a dark, deep, moist, intensely chocolate muffin. And it is actually healthy and high in fiber! I recommend using whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe, Bob's Red Mill make a great one. The pastry flour makes all of the difference in the world as well as the instant espresso which intensifies the chocolate flavor by leaps and bounds, enjoy!
- Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, hot strong brewed coffee,splenda (or stevia), baking soda, and salt; stir to combine.
- In another bowl, add the buttermilk, applesauce, eggs, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix just until well combined, do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
Very good recipe! I had to add an extra 1/2 of splenda since the batter didn't seem sweet enough to my liking... and I also added 2 cups of Dark Chocolate chips. They came out awesome!!!
This is a lovely recipe that gives you muffins to feel good about. No only are they delicious but you can have 2 with a cup of coffee and not need to skip half of your dinner because of it. I got 18 standard sized muffins from it. Mine were baked at 350 F for 20 mins and came out perfect with no tough bottoms or sides. The muffins are moist, tender and yummy with 1/4 cup of oil. They are not overly sweet so no need to adjust the Splenda. Just make, bake and enjoy. Made for Comfort Cafe, Summer 09.