My husband loves German Chocolate Cake and cheesecake. He nearly flipped when he set eyes on this luscious cheesecake. Who says you can't have it all? A couple of tips--beat batter gently as over beating can cause the cheesecake to puff up and then fall and crack. Also don't test if it is done by inserting a knife--gently shake the pan. The center should appear nearly set although it might jiggle just slightly in the middle inch. You definitely don't want to overcook! From "Heartland Baking" cookbook.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pecan halves
- additional chocolate, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter, coconut and pecans.
- Press evenly into bottom and 1/2-inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- In large bowl, beat the cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, sour cream and vanilla with electric mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour and beat well.
- Add the eggs and cooled chocolate all at once; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Spoon into cooled crust.
- Place on shallow baking pan in oven.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until center appears nearly set when shaken.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan.
- Cool 30 minutes longer; remove sides of pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- To make Coconut-Pecan Topping: In small saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar, half and half and corn syrup.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until it is bubbly.
- Stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread Coconut-Pecan Topping over cheesecake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 24 hours.
- Garnish with pecan halves dipped half-way in chocolate.