Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
My husband loves German Chocolate Cake and cheesecake. He nearly flipped when he set eyes on this luscious cheesecake. Who says you can't have it all? A couple of tips--beat batter gently as over beating can cause the cheesecake to puff up and then fall and crack. Also don't test if it is done by inserting a knife--gently shake the pan. The center should appear nearly set although it might jiggle just slightly in the middle inch. You definitely don't want to overcook! From "Heartland Baking" cookbook.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pecan halves
- additional chocolate, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter, coconut and pecans.
- Press evenly into bottom and 1/2-inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- In large bowl, beat the cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, sour cream and vanilla with electric mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour and beat well.
- Add the eggs and cooled chocolate all at once; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Spoon into cooled crust.
- Place on shallow baking pan in oven.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until center appears nearly set when shaken.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan.
- Cool 30 minutes longer; remove sides of pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- To make Coconut-Pecan Topping: In small saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar, half and half and corn syrup.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until it is bubbly.
- Stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread Coconut-Pecan Topping over cheesecake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 24 hours.
- Garnish with pecan halves dipped half-way in chocolate.
Huge hit, everyone loved it. Perfect balance of ingredients. Really easy to make since my wife made it for me (he,he). Seriously everyone wanted a copy of the recipe and of course I printed them. Anyway we had a little Oktoberfest at our home and I found this recipe and thought what a great idea, and it was. Definitely a keeper. We did use a store bought crust to save on time. Thanks for posting Sharlene.